Friday 23 August 2024

Film No. 56. LONGLEGS. (2024). 19th Aug.

 

Film No. 56 (2024) August19th.  7:00 PM  LUNA CINEMA, Cinema 5,  Leederville.


"You could have played nice with me. But you didn't. And that is the reason for all of this" (Our perpetrator narrates a possible reason for all the pain he is inflicting on all his victims).







Did I miss something when I read that LONGLEGS (LL) ranks with SILENCE OF THE LAMBS as an iconic film of "the hunt the serial killer genre" type? I must have, I suppose. That's not to say LONGLEGS doesn't have oodles of style.


Maika Monroe certainly impresses on screen as Agent Lee Harker. As with Jodie Foster's Clarice Starling, she is our vehicle to instigating the downfall of the preposterously odd Longlegs (Nicholas Cage). But like a meal splattered on a plate in front of me, in no order, LL's narrative expects us to pick the scenes that might have particular relevance as we sprint to the finish. And then there's the ending; a blood splattering finish, far too contrived to be edgily unnerving.


Maybe director Oz Perkins is paying homage to films of the ilk of CARRIE, SILENCE OF THE LAMBS, and THE EXORCIST via his grainy horror palate. Well done Oz, if that's the case. But, I was hoping for a tighter, edge of my seat experience.  8GUMS.   


   



  



No comments:

Post a Comment