Wednesday 20 October 2021

No. 83 (2021) JOE BELL. OCT. 13th.

 

Film No. 83 (2021)  October 13th.  5:00 PM   Cinema 4  LUNA,  Leederville. 


"I'm on the right track baby, I was born this way"(The Lady Gaga lyrics Joe recites to his son, Jadin while on his walk across the U.S.).







The story of Joe Bell is definitely a story worth telling. And while the trailer promotes the film as being the best script from writers Diana Ossana and Larry McMurtry since BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN, it is not nearly as absorbing and thorough in its messaging as BM. Because of this, I think the script does the stars here a disservice.


Firstly, let me say, if you've never heard the Joe Bell story, I'd encourage you not to do the mandatory electronic search. His story, or more importantly the ending will, I think, be more impactful seen through fresh eyes. It was advice I received and I'm glad I resisted tapping into search engines. The story is all about a man; a dad, coming to terms with who he is, and what he stands for. The ending will force you to take stock of what really impressed you about an everyday man and what made him a better person.


Reid Miller as Jadin Bell is the star here. He is so good I'm not sure the safe casting of Wahlberg (Joe) and Britton (wife and mother, Lola) complements Miller's range. These stars obviously offer box-office cred but the script was so saccharine I was hoping for a better connection to Jadin through his parents. Perhaps, and I only say perhaps, fresher faces may have given me a fresher connect.


Given all of this, any competently made film(and Joe Bell is certainly that) which throws a spotlight on the reasons bystanders need to stand-up to bullies in greater numbers to protect victims, should be lauded and highlighted. I was thoroughly engrossed in Joe Bell. My criticisms reflect my push for even greater empathy on behalf of the human race when it comes to bullying. And look out for Reid Miller, I hope he doesn't get type cast after this wonderful performance. 8GUMS.




     








No comments:

Post a Comment