Saturday 4 September 2021

No. 72 (2021) NITRAM (Cinefest Oz 2021) AUGUST 29th.

 

Film No. 72 (2021)  August 29th.  12:30 PM   Cinema 3   ORANA CINEMAS,  Bussleton   W.A. 


"I gave up and went back to the car. And then I heard someone laughing. I looked around and he was laughing at my pain" (Mum talking to Helen about life before her son became an adult).






NITRAM, in my eyes, does not depict anything gratuitous in depicting a version of the lead up to the horrific events of April 28th 1996. It is disturbing, and while I understand that it may bring back awful memories for those who are closer to the event and victims of that black day, the film does hold a mirror up to the world and asks the question; how might we recognise signs of the possibility of another event like Port Arthur?


The film is gaining notoriety because of the awards it is accumulating due to the excellent script and brilliant performances. Judy Davis plays the mum, Anthony LaPaglia is dad and Essie Davis the eccentric wealthy friend, Helen. They must have been compromised when accepting their roles but they excel. The lead, played by Caleb Landry Jones, an American is the main reason for the film's accumulation of gongs. He depicts a young man who has become one of Australia's most hated criminals, in a way that never excuses his behaviour, but shines a stream of light on a society that can't be compassionate to those, they decide, can't be helped.


I enjoyed the film for the message Justin Kurzel (SNOWTOWN, TRUE HISTORY OF THE KELLY GANG) had to offer up from a broader, big picture POV. I did not enjoy the memories of where I was, as I played with my children, on that fateful Sunday in April 1996. I was pleased to be able to remember and pay tribute in my own mind to the brave victims and those closely linked to those who died or were injured on that day. The victims of that day must continue to be remembered. 


I cannot recommend this film. I won't rate it. I'm pleased I saw it for the reasons above. There is certainly a lesson to be learnt from NITRAM.

          





No comments:

Post a Comment