Saturday 16 March 2019

No. 23 (2019) Destroyer. March 16th.


Film No 23 (2019) March 16th.  11:15 AM  LUNA PALACE Leederville. 


"I didn't want you to be like me. I'm mad, I'm still fucking mad, it's burned a circuit in my brain. (Erin tries to make peace with daughter Shelby).






If told Nicole Kidman plays an emotionally wrecked cop (Erin Bell) whose soul has been laid bare through her professional dedication to a grimy  undercover operation, you may be sceptical; I was. I needn't have been, Kidman, while spasmodically melodramatic, steers this puzzle of a thriller most competently. Kidman shows a pure range in the flashback scenes which makes her the right choice for this role. A twenties something Erin fills our screen legitimately with vitality and energy, and parallels present day Erin chillingly. There are holes in this film, but the satisfaction of placing a small puzzle piece in precisely the right place, is the satisfaction that is Destroyer (not sure about the title). And, of course, the Kidman effect. 9GUMS.



          

No comments:

Post a Comment