Saturday 20 October 2018

No. 86 (2018) My Generation October 11th.

Film No. 86 (2018) October 11th.  6:45 AM  PALACE CINEMAS  Northbridge. 


"All I wanted was to get a true cockney character on the big screen and I got the chance to do it." (Typical of the Michael Caine voiceover forming the historical observational documentary, My Generation).  







Who better to bring us a history lesson (through his artistic eyes) on how the 60's were such a watershed decade in the breaking down of the class stigma in the U.K. than Michael Caine. His insights using friends Paul McCartney, Mick Jagger, Roger Daltry, Twiggy, Mary Quant, Joanna Lumley etc etc is legitimate and encapsulating. His observations make so logical sense and and in such a comic way I would have been pleased to sit for another 20 minutes in the company of his influential mates. The arts were everyone's domain, so when a cockney like Caine and scousers like The Beatles gained followings in their multitudes, the entitled had no alternative but to notice and in many cases look silly as they verbalised their "toffy" views. The story of how Maurice Micklewhite became Michael Caine is a hoot, and a story new to me. A brilliant observational doco is My Generation. 9GUMS.



         

No comments:

Post a Comment