Thursday 20 July 2023

No. 52 (2023) I LIKE MOVIES. Perth THE REV. Film Festival July 14th.

 

Film No. 52  (2023)  July 14th.  7:30 PM  LUNA LEEDERVILLE,  Cine 5, Leederville.

 

"Sorry, I just think you should make films that matter to you!" (Lawrence justifies his contribution ( which is way off topic) to the discussion of the class video assignment.



WINNER: (Chandler Levack) Best Film, Panavision Spirit Award for Independent Cinema. NOMINEE: (Chandler Levack) Audience Award Glasgow Film Festival.





I'm a big fan of films like, I LIKE MOVIES (ILM) . I more than like them, I love them. The sad thing is, the only time we get to see films like ILM is at annual, obscure film festivals like Rev; a Perth (West Australian) based, 5 day event. Luckily, ILM is gaining a cult following world-wide as I type. 


This tale, so tender, is yet another vehicle along the 'coming of age" cinematic highway. Already I hear a groan; not so fast I say. Isaiah Lehtinen's Lawrence will win you over, Im sure of it. And like all the good Life's Lesson dramas we begin by disliking Lawrence. He's a brash, overconfident young film-maker whose passion for movies isn't matched by any actual output of the films he boasts so freely that he has the potential to make (failing the first 3 minutes here).


The more we get to know Lawrence, the more we are convinced he is "Batting out of his League" in so many areas of his life. That his dream to attend NYU's prestigious media program is simply unattainable for a film-maker who creates next to no films, is just one example. Enter two of the best women mentors first time director Chandler Levack could have created. Lawrence's video store boss Alana (Romina D'Ugo), and his loving mum Terri (Krista Bridges) together give Lawrence the inevitable awakenings that polish this rough diamond of a boy, and film for that matter, into the gems they are!


I recently saw NO HARD FEELINGS. Jennifer Lawrence, it seems, will recover the millions she pumped into this silly "coming of age" musing. I LIKE MOVIES is a small Canadian production, made for one twentieth of the NHF budget, while pushing the same emotional buttons. I LIKE MOVIES is so, so, so, much the better film. Beg, borrow or steal to find a showing. Maybe not steal!  11GUMS.  


 






No comments:

Post a Comment