Wednesday 17 May 2023

No. 36 (2023) SWEET AS. May. 13th.

 

Film No. 36  (2023)  May 13th.  11:00 AM  LUNA LEEDERVILLE,  Cine 1, Leederville.

 

"The camera will be your instrument for telling your story" (Fernando discusses part of the reason his group will find purpose using photography as a tool).



WINNER: Feature (Jub Clerc); Australian Innovation Award MIFF 2022.







I'd seen the trailer to SWEET AS so many times, I was becoming muddled as to what I expected from this coming of age road movie, shot in the beautiful hard country of northern Western Australia. An inundation of a trailer can do that to you. 


Well, I wasn't wrong. Half way through the film I was muddled. The script lacked the maturity to coax us into investing in the characters. I was resigning myself to being disappointed - but that all changed. The longer I sat, the more I did invest. As the healing of Murra (Shantae Barnes-Cowan) and her new found mates gave them hope and companionship, I was "on board". It was like, one minute I was in my velvet cinema seat, the next I was  riding in the Toyota Coaster bus with our heroes. 


The beauty of Barnes-Cowan gives the screen a lift with every close-up. Her Murra is the balm that gently heals the blemishes affecting Kylie (Mikayla Levy), Elvis (Pedrea Jackson) and Sean (Andrew Wallace) on their week long photography excursion into the harsh, flint orange rock expanses of The Pilbara. It's a shame the adult mentors,played competently by a likable Tasma Walton (Mitch) and Carlos Sanson Jr. (Fernando), didn't have an edgier script to work with. 


Director Jub Clerc has created a very personal story. It is an experience close to her heart. She too went through a life changing experience (like the one on screen) which gave her greater understanding of who she is and what dreams she would pursue. Her current life as a respected film -maker gives a clue. It's a risky business throwing a piece of yourself on the big screen.


The great measure of a sentimental road movie like SWEET AS is, when the goodbyes are sad. Is there a tear or two, a lump in the throat maybe? From an audience POV, I'm talking! Well, I didn't need tissues, but there were plenty of people in our crowd who dabbed their eyes. SWEET AS is gaining the response that Clerc was hoping for 8GUMS.    

Guest Blogger: Julia Greenwood   




    












2 comments:

  1. Hello!

    Some of the adult characters did have an edgy script

    like Grace at the party

    and Ian.

    And Eddie's - I mean ELVIS's Granddad.

    Adelaide Dupont

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree, maybe I was a bit flippant with my comment there ... enjoyable film never the less.

    ReplyDelete