Tuesday 1 November 2022

No. 88 (2022) THE ALMOND AND THE SEAHORSE (Palace British Film Festival 2022) October 26th.

 

Film No. 88 (2022)  October 26th.  3:35 PM  PALACE Cinema 6,  Raine Square,  Perth City.

 

"You're not who you used to be. You're not the same person I married" (Sarah looks into Joe's vacant stare and cradles his face in her hands).



OFFICIAL SELECTION Best Film; Zurich Film Awards 2022.








The title, surely, must create some form of intrigue? Well, it did for me. I saw no trailers, read no reviews and was reasonably engaged with THE ALMOND AND THE SEAHORSE. Plus, the significance of the title is, indeed, intriguing. 


Sarah (Rebel Wilson) and Toni (Charlotte Gainsbourg) don't know each other, but we meet them dealing with similar domestic challenges. Their partners are suffering brain trauma for different reasons, but the amnesia they suffer is similar in nature. The people who love them are essentially our focus because it is they who grapple with their own emotional trauma. They remain devoted to someone who remains the same in physical form, but is no longer the person they loved.


I'm not sure how SEAHORSE translates to film. I've not experienced the play. Reading reviews of the play suggests a highly emotionally charged stage show. Celyn Jones (Joe in both this film and the stage production) has been the driver of this project. He, along with the original playwright, Kaite O'Reilly have devised the screen play. Celyn has composed the soundtrack in its entirety. Some feat I must say. I'm not sure that he hasn't bitten off more that he should have. It's just that I would have liked to have loved SEAHORSE more than I did. As it is, I liked this film, and I'm full of admiration for both Jones' performance as Joe and his labour of love. But his casting of Wilson and the bombardment of the music diluted my enjoyment. 


Meanwhile, questions about life and "cards dealt" to good people is on show here. Life challenges will always be the subject matter of good story telling. T.A.A.T.S. takes an original strand to engage its audience. Jones, Gainsbourg and Meera Syal as Dr Falmer are all actors who do just that, engage. The camera likes Wilson and I'm sure many will disagree with my comments re her casting. I'm hoping most people will like her as Sarah! The final twist, while not surprising, is very satisfying.  8GUMS.

 



  


    


    


  

No comments:

Post a Comment