Sunday 15 August 2021

No. 65 (2021) ANNETTE AUGUST 10th.

 

Film No. 65 (2021)  Aug 10th.  6:30 PM   Cinema 1   LUNA,  Leederville. 


"The first time I fell in love, I woke up next to the girl and escaped fast and far." (The voice over of tragic hero Henry as he introduces us to his deeply troubled thought bank).






Cinematic Opera is the best way to describe the genre that ANNETTE explores. It is a very specific type of film, one that I have little knowledge or expertise of. Director Leos Carax explored similar themes in HOLY MOTORS (2012) and considering the box office debacle of this unconventional film I have to admire his persistence, with the help of Amazon Prime, in returning 9 years on, with this lavish parade of colour and music.


Watching a couple of my favourite performers in Adam Driver (Henry) and Marion Cotillard (Ann) play lovers in a tragedy of these epic proportions was a unique experience. They look great together but because I can't comprehend this cinematic context I have to admit to looking forward to their teaming together for a more conventional film. A Steven Soderberg, atmospheric piece perhaps!


Sorry, I'm not willing to try to sway you either way here. I sat back and soaked in the sounds (Sparks Bros), the colour, energy and little Annette in all her forms. I'm not sure I wasn't convinced that there wasn't examples of self indulgence but I didn't totally get the point of ANNETTE. Then, who am I to comment? A critic out of his depth, that's who. NEUTRAL ON THE GUMS.  

    




 

No comments:

Post a Comment