Saturday 19 June 2021

No. 48 (2021) I'M YOUR MAN (Palace German Film Festival). JUNE 14th.

 

Film No. 48 (2021)  June 14th.  1:15 PM  Cinema 1  LUNA,  Leederville. 


"You're a beautiful woman Alma. Your eyes are like two mountain lakes I could sink into". (Tom, Alma's supposed perfect partner begins conversation at their first meeting).






I'M YOUR MAN is quite delightful. So it should be, I suppose. The list of highly recommended Romantic Comedy films is a long one. It is a genre, however, often harshly judged but also easily judged. The best of the breed are films which leaves one feeling warm inside and the 110 minutes it has taken to tell the story has felt like ninety. German director, of mainly T.V., Maria Schrader (UNORTHORDOX) has created a highly entertaining film in I'M YOUR MAN.


Alma (Maren Eggert) is smart. She's a professor in a Berlin university. We find this out as we go along. We first meet her on what we take to be a blind date. Tom, most brilliantly played by Dan Stevens, is her date. The thing about Tom is that he is perfect in a not so perfect way. Alma is compliant and although sceptical is very much committed to seeing this through. What next?


Alma falls for Tom, obviously, but there are many layers to her progression into a romantic relationship. This becomes  a part of the intrigue of I'M YOUR MAN. Believability from an audiences POV will be hard to achieve, especially considering Alma's state of mind. She is cynical to say the least and the original duration she signed up for, three weeks, is destined not to run its course.


The film is visually handsome. Eggert and Stevens are a good match and physically make a great couple. Their timing makes for some brilliantly funny (rarely laugh out loud) set pieces. Sandra Huller, fresh from the dark EXILE, as the dutiful employee works the screen nicely and there is a surprising small twist to her role.


I'M YOUR MAN is great entertainment. I've no doubt this will become a Hollywood re-make in years, if not months, to come. I can't for the life of me see how they will be able to improve on this German triumph. Sure, more people may see it, but I'll be all the more sorry for that fact. We all love a good romcom. Don't miss I'M YOUR MAN ..... seek it out. 11GUMS.

            



    

No comments:

Post a Comment