Sunday 11 November 2018

No. 98 (2018) A Star Is Born Nov 3rd.

Film No. 98 (2018) November 3rd.  6:30 PM EVENT Cinemas Innaloo.                        


"Almost every single person has told me they like the way I sounded but that they didn't like the way I looked." (Ally describes why she doesn't feel comfortable singing her own songs).






So what is the best version? For me it is still Kris and Barbara's take on this crowd pleasing screen story. But let's face it, I was in my twenties, a most impressionaable time for a weepy of this ilk. In 42 years time, today's 20 year olds are going to say Cooper and Gaga were the best no doubt. But let me say from the outset Lady Gaga steals this version in mesmerising fashion. No fan of this wonderful songstress will miss her performance but to watch her act with hardly a credit to her name (some episodes of American Horror Story) may align her to Cher's (Mask, Moonstruck, Silkwood) breakthrough roles from the 80's. Hats off to Cooper though, he has directed a wonderful crowd pleaser. To dedicate six months to mastering voice, guitar and piano is a risk; the fruits of his labour are on show and highlight his talent. 9GUMS.



    

No comments:

Post a Comment