Monday 8 June 2015

Film No. 38 (2015) Wild Tales June 7th.

Film No. 38 (2015) June 7th. 4:20 PM LUNA SX Fremantle.

 

"Crime of passion perhaps sir?" (A detective puts this quizzical notion to his superior as they approach a dire scene).


Wild Tales

 

I was cut off by an Audi driving chap in a hurry while driving on The Freeway last weekend. I watched him speed away and quietly hoped I might pass him further along as smoke plumed from under his bonnet or while changing his tyre in the emergency lane. Perhaps then I could give him a blast of my horn while making a hand gesture in his direction. After my Wild Tales experience I think I'll give all future vengeful fantasies a miss.

 

Wild Tales was a nominee for best foreign film at this year's Oscars. I wonder if it was hampered by the fact it told six different stories rather that of a conventional feature in nature. For me this rollicking two hour experience gets my vote as my most entertaining theatre experience of 2015 so far. And as my first paragraph suggests you'll leave questioning a behavior or two of your own as a reaction to some of these stories.

 

I purposely kept away from reading reviews of Wild Tales because I'd been advised by so many people that it was a not to be missed cinematic adventure. When told it was a film telling six short stories I asked if there was a link in any way via the theme, the characters or use of a clever common denominator. The answer was always no. After my experience with Wild Tales I'd have to disagree. My point of difference is that there is a common theme. Vengeful Endeavor is the common denominator I'd fix to these six Wild Tales.

 

If you detest viewing bad behavior by your fellow human being and prefer lighter, softer, reflective cinema. Then I'd suggest you give Wild Tales a miss. If you love tightly made films, using many and varied techniques (particularly camera positioning) depicting the ultimate definition of drama "man in a mess", then make Wild Tales a must see.  11GUMS   

 

  

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment