Thursday 7 August 2014

Film No. 53 (2014) These Final Hours August 6th .

Film No. 53 (2014) August 6th. 06:50 PM HOYTS Garden City Booragoon.


These Final Hours.

I'm always keen to catch a film which captures my home town (Perth) on screen. I'd have to say it often clouds my view of a film because I'm so busy watching for the familiar landmarks I loose focus on other important ingredients like story, script development and the performances.

These Final Hours certainly captures the hot suburban landscape of Perth, Western Australia with great authenticity. I could feel the heat of our familiar summer sun with every washed out golden shot as we follow James (Nathan Phillips) in his quest to come to terms with his final hours on earth. Zak Hilditch has done a very serviceable job in his first feature.

These Final Hours asks the question, what would you do if you only had hours left to live? James becomes the vehicle for our thoughts as he makes hast through the stark urban streets, confused as to which girlfriend he should be with when Armageddon descends. By chance he saves a girl, Rose (Angourie Rice), from an indignity beyond belief; he becomes her guardian. A task which helps him to understand what real responsibility is.

The premise and idea that a dire situation may just be the spark for real change in a person is a good one. The fact that the script failed to offer the characters real depth denied the film a chance to reach its full potential. So These Final Hours is not great but it is certainly worth a look. I'm still thinking about those final hours but I'm no closer to knowing how I would spend them.  7GUMS.  

No comments:

Post a Comment