Sunday 12 June 2016

Film No. 35 (2016) Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. May 29th.

Film No. 35 (2016) May 29th.  4.10 PM GREATER UNION Innaloo.


"Miss Baker, this is an extreme environment, I've seen people with experience make bad decisions here". (General Hollanek (Billy Bob Thornton indicates the realities of Kim Baker's (Tina Fey) new life)




Tina Fey is branching out. Known for her comic performances on both T.V. (Saturday Night Live, 30 Rock) and film (Sisters), Fey steps into new territory with Whiskey Tango Foxtrot although I couldn't help but feel it had a tele-movie feel; even the trailer had a touch of the small screen about it. This took nothing away from the film's entertainment value, it was amusing in parts, reasonably serious and generally, a story well told.


Perhaps the success of the film says more about Fey's talent than the sum of its parts. Based on an episode out of the U.S. occupation of Afghanistan in the mid 2000's, Kim Baker (Tina Fey) a New York journalist accepts her editors challenge of beaming stories back to The States which give insight into a war few people in the western world paid much attention to. Baker's memoir The Taliban Shuffle forms the foundation for this story.


While I've not read the memoir the trigger of interest in Baker's exploits comes via the bravery and devotion she showed in bringing off the rescue (with a good deal of military help) of British subject and photographer Iain MacKalpie (Martin Freeman). The film carries off the depiction of this rather serious incident with credibility even though I felt the tension surrounding the rescue based on Baker's friendship with MacKalpie should have been just that, more tense.


Whiskey Tango Foxtrot will soon be enjoyed by many more people on a streaming network. It is an entertainment which will have people reaching for their tablets to check the facts surrounding Baker's exploits. I for one found the blurring of fact with fiction unsurprising. Was there such a person as General Hollanek? I hope so because Billy Bob's portrayal of this character gave a depth to the tale which made the climax workable. Thornton is his usual quirky self in this. 8GUMS.






1 comment:

  1. I wanted to see WHISKY TANGO FOXTROT. And THE BOSS - I am fond of comedic women.

    My family prevailed upon me to see THE JUNGLE BOOK.

    "On a streaming network" - which one, Chris?

    And I like to have the facts by me when I am watching a movie.

    The Taliban Shuffle is a worthy read.

    ReplyDelete