Thursday 2 April 2015

Film No. 21 (2015) That Sugar Film March 30th.

Film No. 21 (2015) March 30th. 5:00 PM LUNA SX Fremantle.

The Quote: "People on this planet are growing sicker every day. And many scientists now believe that fructose has a role to play". (Steven Fry describing his understanding of the damages that sugar is causing to the world's population).



That Sugar Film


I'm predicting that this cheaply made documentary feature may well be Australia's most popular film both here and overseas in 2015. While The Babadook certainly achieved the latter accolade it was avoided by the locals in 2014. My hope is that, That Sugar Film will be viewed by many Australians because there is information that may make people's blood boil, either that or it may make their teeth fall out.

In the same way that Morgan Spurlock made Super Size Me, Damon Gameau puts himself to the test by consuming the equivalent of 40 teaspoons of sugar per day for eight weeks. During this time he has various health experts monitoring the effects of this sugar consumption on his body. The foods he consumes are the foods we might mistake as having wholesome health qualities. He self monitors and is very articulate as he discusses the changes taking place both internally and externally. 

The highlight for me however is the clever way Gameau balances scientific information with home and family life and travel as he journeys to a remote aboriginal community and then to the US to mix it with the biggest and the best sugar consumers in the world. Cinema in the digital age allows a film like this to play with graphics and dimension. If there was some dry information to be conveyed it was portrayed creatively. Talking heads appeared on labels and Gameau was often shrunk so he might venture into a body.

That Sugar Film will make me think twice about some of the things I eat. If it helps me to reduce a small percentage of my sugar intake, I'm sure there will be some benefit for me. Perhaps if I think about the film on a regular basis I'll have slipped into a new eating habit thus the benefits will be long term. I can only hope. Gameau has created a thoughtful, intelligent, clever and important film. See it just to learn something new about the world world we live in. 9GUMS.     

    

No comments:

Post a Comment