Wednesday 29 May 2019

No. 47 (2019) Top End Wedding. May 24th.


Film No 47 (2019) May 24th.  6.15PM  PALACE CINEMAS Raine Square,  Perth City . 


"I've always been able to see it. Both my parents walking me down the isle. I can't get married if my mum isn't here." (Miranda explains to Ned why the wedding can't go ahead before Daffy is found).






An unashamedly feel-good romp showcasing the great Australian north with all its gentle people and blazingly stunning landscape. And while I enjoyed the spectacle, as any proud Australian would, I'm worried that the script is so shallow, distributors may struggle to find the international audience that Top End Wedding deserves. Lauren (Miranda Tapsell) and Ned (Gwilym Lee) form the perfect blend of multicultural chemistry, so we are sold early on with Ned's proposal. Because of Miranda's traditional Northern Australian roots a wedding in Darwin makes sense. The fly in the ointment however is the fact that Miranda's mother Daffy,(Ursula Yovich) has gone missing (midlife crisis). The bulk of Top End is then devoted to finding Daffy in time for the wedding. So begins the travelogue with minimal storyline. Top End Wedding, like Ned and Miranda, is uncomplicated, never pretentious and has roles with bite for Kerry Fox and Tracy Mann. There's a lot to like, I hope it's seen all over the world. 7GUMS.          



No comments:

Post a Comment