Monday 1 February 2016

Film No. 8 (2016) The Hateful Eight. January 30th.

Film No. 8 (2016) January 30th.  4.00 PM GREATER UNION Innaloo.

 

"Listen, when you get to hell, tell 'em Daisy sent ya" (Daisy (Jennifer Jason Leigh) passes on her regards to the man she most despises right at that moment).

 

 

Hateful! I'm surprised vicious wasn't an inclusion in the title. This is one "mother" of a movie. If you have friends who rave about Quentin's flicks  and you haven't yet ventured into that "sea of red" then I suggest this one, his eighth, is not the one to cut your teeth on. If you are still keen to view his movies but want a fast track method, I suggest you "cut your teeth" on Pulp Fiction, then if that appeals try Jackie Brown and if you love that, don't miss The Hateful Eight; especially if you are still able to catch it on a big screen. 

 

I wonder if  in 400 years Tarantino will be discussed as Shakespeare is discussed in contemporary times. I'm not suggesting The Big T is anywhere the wordsmith The Bard was, but there is something captivating about the distilled method he uses to weave his narrative magic, always leaving small puzzles for an audience to solve. All Tarantino devotees are repeat offenders when it comes to their favourite films as we continually find new and interesting interpretations in his work. I often return to Jackie Brown to find new solutions. However Hateful EightTarantino's eighth effort will, I feel become my new favourite .

 

The thing is, in reviewing the best aspects to the film, spoilers will be revealed. So I'm going to follow Tarantino's decree that when discussing his films, he urges those doing so, to try to present their view in a similar way to the way he presents his narratives; in long sentences, building tension, leading to an amazing crescendo, leaving those listening feeling that attending the film is the only way to be gratified.

 

The bummer about seeing The Hateful Eight in a multiplex in Perth, Australia is I didn't get to see the film as Tarantino intended;the full 3 hours and 7 minutes on 70mm projection, with a 20 minute interval. Most people around the world will see the cut I saw at around 2 hours 40 mins. One can't have everything it would seem. Oh, and I've hardly mentioned the plot-line or cast. Well they are all great, particularly Kurt Russell and Jennifer Jason Leigh as they form a memorable but unlikely duo. Tarantino makes his usual cameo but not in the way you might think! I can't wait to see it again. 11GUMS.       

 

            


No comments:

Post a Comment