Tuesday 28 April 2015

Film No. 28 (2015) Dior and I April 25th.

Film No. 28 (2015) April 25th.  10.40 AM LUNA Leederville. 

   

He had just 8 weeks to create his first collection. ( The challenge faced by new creative director of Dior, Raf Simons)

 

Dior and I

 

I imagine the followers of fashion would move into excitement overload at the viewing of a documentary like Dior and I. The chance to peek behind the scenes at "the goings on" of a fashion house like Dior as the newly appointed Creative Director Raf Simons (who sounds remarkably like Roger Feferer) steers his fickle but talented "ship" towards a fashion launch, might even generate squeals of delight amongst the aficionados of fine garments and accessories.

While I'm not a disciple of fashion I did enjoy the wonderful sociological elements depicted in most scenes. We are to assume that the "I" in the title is Raf himself although he in no way gives a first person perspective (commentary) through the film. The camera follows him as he decides what the look will be for this globally anticipated launch. I assume from my readings, post film, that Raf is a "think out of the square" (minimalist)  director who works from inspiration rather then the more conventional sketch boards etc.

Given all of this background, I now understand why the documentary did not become a classic portrait of a leader dealing with the politics of the empire to gain supremacy. I'm sure there were scenes where friction must have occurred but writer director Frederic Tcheng focused on Raf's creative prowess. He transforms the exhibition house into a flower house inspired by Jeff Koon's giant flower puppy. He becomes inspired by artworks to transport their colours and designs into garments. But best of all he sells his employees his vision with unblinking confidence.

Then follows the angst and anxiety experienced by all of the players in the build up to the big event. It is then that we experience Raf at his most vulnerable. In 85 minutes he has won us over, we want him to succeed. I must mention Raf's "right hand man" Pieter Mulier, I'm not sure Raf would be quite as assured without him. I've seen documentaries which have had a greater impact on me but Dior and I was both entertaining and enlightening. 7GUMS     

    

      

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment