Friday 11 July 2014

Film No. 47 (2014) Begin Again July 9th.

Film No. 47 (2014) July 9th VINCOM TOWERS Level 6 Hanoi, Vietnam


Begin Again


I so enjoy the chance to view a film when traveling to another country. My opportunity to watch Begin Again in Hanoi on Thursday was such a pleasure I fear the experience may have softened my critical viewpoint. Nevermind, I enjoyed the session I attended due mainly to the infectious nature by which my fellow Vietnamese film goers embraced the film.

John Carney, who brought Once to the screen eight years ago, has crafted a strange "little" film in Begin Again. The film has a handful of big stars including Keira Knightley, Mark Ruffalo and Catherine Keener and tells a tale which pushes our emotional buttons in a unique way but without the satifaction hoped for, especially considering the outstanding 45 minute opening.

Dan (Ruffalo) is a "burnt out" husband, father and music promoter; in a drunken stupor he stumbles across Greta (Knightley) in a bar playing an original song of her own composition, under duress. The opening is simple but the clever method Carney uses to give our characters their key life moments leading to the meeting is worth the price of the ticket. Dan coaxes Greta into a music partnership which brings both life affection and a very fine soundtrack.

The Vietnamese audience I shared the film with broke into song on numerous occasions as they freely embraced the beat and the volume level. It is a soundtrack I'll purchase so I will have a lasting memory of this infectousness. I view films most often in  Australia; the audience is usually quiet, attentive and at all times conservative. This Hanoi experience was a change and one I enjoyed. Begin Again lacked something but this audience gave that something back !  8GUMS


No comments:

Post a Comment