Sunday 22 June 2014

Film No. 44 (2014) Calvary June 21st.

Film No. 44 (2014) June 21st. 11:00 AM LUNA Leederville.


Calvary


The Guard was one of my favourite films of 2011; so I keenly anticipated Calvary which opens in Australia this month. As with The Guard, Calvary teams together Brendan Gleeson and writer director John Michael McDonagh. After my preview viewing yesterday, Calvary will, without doubt, be on my favourite film list for 2014.

The common elements in both films relate to the sharp, dark dialogue set against a windswept coastal landscape, but that is where the similarities end. Calvary has a sharper focus as it deals with the most controversial issue in the churches' recent history, child abuse. And while the topic may cause potential viewers to avoid this film. I urge you, if you are fair minded and enjoy good films, see this one.

Father James (Brendan Gleeson) a widower, who has come to the church late in life is the "rock" on which this small community relies. He is the voice of reason and listens with intent to the insecurities of its inhabitants. A problem rears when his own vulnerabilities are revealed after he is set a mortal deadline in the film's opening scene. For the next 100 minutes we watch in anticipation as our thoughts are cleverly manipulated.

I'm reluctant to discuss the film further. I will however suggest you refuse to listen to any one who tries to explain the story of the film; also I urge you take little notice of the current promotional poster being distributed; it's misleading. Oh and I nearly forgot to mention Father James's daughter, Fiona (Kelly Reilly), she holds a key which makes for a brilliant ending; an ending which touched the heart of all who attended my screening.  11GUMS.   

     

No comments:

Post a Comment